City museum of Chiusa
The city museum in the small city of Chiusa harkens back on an animated history. Already in 1914 in Chiusa, a museum of local history was founded. In fascism this museum was forced to hand over its artistic treasures to the city musem of Bolzano, where a museum for South Tyrol (”Museo dell’Alto Adige”) was ment to be established. Finally in 1978, the exhibits could be returned to Chiusa and could be exhibited in 1992, after a long restoration period, in the former Capuchin monastery. When the museum reopened, it was called city museum, that is to say “Stadtmuseum Klausen”.
The pieces of art are exhibited in two large exhibition spaces in the basement. In the first hall there are ecclesiastical artworks of the 15th to the 19th century of Chiusa and surroundings. In the second room, the former vestry, you can have a look at works of the so-called “Klausner Künstlerkolonie” (colony of artists) of the second half of the 19th century. In fact, Chiusa used to be a popular destination for artists seeking romantic inspiration. Among the artists coming to Chiusa, there were Defregger, Egger-Lienz and Köster, as well as local artists such as Piffrader or Rabensteiner. Finally, on the first floor, there is the absolute highlight for museum visitors, which is the Loreto treasure of the 16th and 17th century.
This collection comprising Spanish and Italian artworks was donated by the Spanish queen Maria Anna around 1700, on request of padre Gabriel Pontifeser, her personal father confessor. So somehow the foundations for this museum were already laid in those days. A visit to the museum also takes you the temporary exhibitions in the basement as well as to the Baroque Capuchin church which, accessible via the cloister of the 17th century, is dedicated to S. Felix von Cantalice.
from the end of March to beginning of November, Tuesdays - Saturdays from 9.30 am - 12 and 3.30 pm - 6 pm, closed on Sundays, Mondays and bank holidays
Normal price adults 4 Euros, pupils for free