Castel Tasso il located at Campo di Trens close to the city of Vipiteno and it is one of the best preserved castles of South Tyrol. The castle was first documented in 1100 as feud of the Bavarian Earls Lechsgmünd, while from 1110 the castle was enfeoffed to the Lord of Stelvio, who proceeded in building the castle and called it “Reifenstein”, Castel Tasso.
In the following centuries the castle repeatedly changed hands, up to the year 1405, when the Lords of Sabiona came into the possession of Castel Tasso. Afterwards the Archduke Sigismund moved into the castle, who sold the castle to the German Chivalric Order in 1470. Until this Order was dissolved in 1813, the castle remained in its possession and was militarily amplified. Up to this point of time earls of Tyrol played a major role in the organisation of the postal system. After its abolition they were compensated with this castle complex.
Today this castle is considered to be the best preserved castle complex all over South Tyrol, as it has never been destroyed or taken over. Part of the complex is also the little St. Zeno church, at which Bajuwaric tree trunk coffins dating back to the 4th to 8th century have been found.
A total of 10 rooms can be visited today, which are still in an excellent state. The donjon of the castle complex dates back to the 12th century, the great hall, however, dates back to the 15th century. Particularly interesting is also the Green Hall with its ornaments and a fantastic late Gothic wooden latticework.
Portcullis, torture chamber, court room and a subterranean dungeon characterise the real Mediaeval knight’s castle.
> opened from April 1 to November 1, 2015
> closed on Saturdays
> open on the following Saturdays: 23.5., 15.08. and 31.10.2015
> guided tours: 10.30, 2 pm and 3 pm
> from July 20 to September 05 additionally at 4 pm
> guided tours for groups of at least 4
> larger groups of more than 15 people on request
Tel.: +39 339 2643752 (from 8 to 10.30 am and 4 to 8 pm)