Request
*Bestpreisgarantie
*kostenlose Stornierung
de | en | it

Multscher Museum and Vipiteno city museum

In the south of the city of Vipiteno, close to the parish church “Nostra Signora delle Paludi”, there is a complex, which from the 13th century used to be a hospice of the Teutonic order. In the 19th century, the township of Vipiteno took over the historical building in order to quarter the city hospital in it up to the year 1977. Since 1986 in the eastern part of this building, there is the so-called “Multscher Museum”, and since 1994 the city museum of Vipiteno has been opened in this place as well. A visit makes you become familiar with the history of the city.

The Multscher Museum is dedicated to the master Hans Multscher from Ulm. It displays the preserved parts of the famous late-Gothic Multscher altar, established between 1456 and 1459, a masterpiece of this era that had a sustainable impact on the development of arts in the southern German area. The four famous altarpieces show scenes of the life of Mary as well as the Passion of the Christ.

The city museum of Vipiteno is located in the Baroque rooms in the east section of the building, established under commander of Freiherr von Recordin in the years 1752 – 1754. The city museum tells the story of Vipiteno, its brotherhoods and guilds as well as local artisan crafts-work by illustrating maps, townscape and documents.

Also wall paintings display the history of the city and the German order. In the frame of a museum tour you can also visit the S. Elizabeth church constructed in the 18th century. The high altarpiece and the ceiling paints were created by Matthäus Günther from Augsburg, while Anton Gigl from Innsbruck established the stucco decoration on the walls and the vault.

Opeing hours:
April to October from Tuesdays - Saturdays from 10 am to 1 pm and 1.30 pm to 5 pm, Sundays, Mondays and feast days closed

Tickets:
Normal tickets adults from 2.50 Euros, kids up to 6 years for free