Request
*Bestpreisgarantie
*kostenlose Stornierung
de | en | it

Brixen

The mild climate of the Valle Isarco valley makes vineyards and fruit orchards flourish in this area. In fact, Bressanone fascinates twice: on the one hand the city has got a varied cultural programme to offer, on the other hand the surrounding villages as well as the local mountain of the Plose make you escape the city life and take you to another world, the world of nature, ideal for taking a break and enjoying relaxation.
A Toerggele hike along the sunny slopes of the Monte Ponente and subsequent stop in one of the typical taverns called Buschenschank, a drink at the event Summer Emotions in the historic town of Bressanone, a shopping evening, a winter walk on the Plose and a visit of the Christmas Market, the episcopal city and the surrounding villages have much to offer in every season and for every taste.

The area of Brixen has been settled since the Upper Paleolithic (8th millennium BC). Other settlements from the late Stone Age have been found and in 15 BC, the area was conquered by the Romans, who had their main settlement in the nearby Säben (Sabiona). They held it until around 590, when it was occupied by Bavarians.
The first mention of Brixen dates to 901 in a document issued by the King of Germany, Louis III the Child, in it a territory called Prihsna is assigned to Zacharias, bishop of Säben. As time passed, "Prihsna" turned into the current name of Brixen. The bishops moved here from Säben in 992, after the Cathedral had been finished.
In 1039, the Bishop of Brixen, Poppo, was elevated to Pope by emperor Henry III. However his reign lasted for only 23 days. Yet in the same century, Brixen became the seat of an independent ecclesiastical principate which, in the following years, struggled for existence against the neighbouring county of Tyrol. In 1115, a first line of walls encircling Brixen was completed.
The bishopric was secularized in 1803 and annexed by the Austrian Empire. Between 1851 and 1855, the Czech journalist and writer Karel Havlíček Borovský was exiled by the Austrian government to Brixen. After the end of World War I, Brixen was annexed by Italy.